Dick has more than 40 years of communications, project management, strategic planning and leadership experience in television, radio, public relations, law and government service. Prior to joining Candor, Dick served as deputy director, managing editor, anchor and host of various News & Public Affairs series and programs for OETA, Oklahoma’s public broadcasting network. He has won numerous broadcasting awards, including three regional Emmys.
Dick began his career at KGOU Radio in Norman and worked as news and sports anchor/reporter, play-by-play-announcer and talk show host at radio stations in Norman, Oklahoma City, Tulsa and Wichita Falls, Texas. During his television career he was sports anchor/reporter at KFDX-TV in Wichita Falls, KJRH-TV in Tulsa and KOCO-TV in Oklahoma City before joining OETA as news anchor.
He has also been public relations director for Oklahoma City’s professional baseball team, a practicing lawyer with emphasis in employment law (including drafting policies and procedures and providing legal advice and training for corporate executives, managers, human resource professionals and practicing attorneys) and chief of staff for the Lieutenant Governor of Oklahoma.
Recent Awards & Honors:
- Oklahoma Associated Press Broadcasters Award for Political Reporting, 2015
- Oklahoma Society of Professional Journalists Awards for Best Newscast, Election Reporting and Live Broadcast, 2015
- Heartland Regional Emmy Award for Community Service, 2013
- Distinguished Alumnus, Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication, University of Oklahoma, 2015
Dick’s Community Involvement includes:
- Board Member, Freedom of Information Oklahoma, Inc.
- Member, Advisory Council for the Julian P. Kanter Political Commercial Archive, University of Oklahoma
- Board Member, Oklahoma Close Up
- Norman Sooner Rotary Club (Past President)
- Oklahoma Society of Professional Journalists (Past President)
- Friends and Alumni, Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication (Past President)
Dick is a skilled presenter and facilitator and has served as guest lecturer in journalism and public relations at the University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State University – OKC and the University of Central Oklahoma. He has also served as trainer for journalism and marketing professionals in Russia and Bangladesh.
A native of Norman, Dick earned a B.A. in Journalism and J.D. from the University of Oklahoma. Dick was inducted into the Oklahoma Journalism Hall of Fame in 2009.