Karen Wicker on stairsokcBIZ

4:58 a.m.: Buzzer goes off! I was born a morning person. Jump out of bed and throw on my workout gear in the dark and sneak down the stairs of our historic (code for old and squeaky) home. My hubby can’t imagine why I do this crazy a.m. routine.

5:10 a.m.: Grab iPhone to check news feeds. I’m a news junkie. Whew! No client emergencies! I eat an orange and chug my Jackie Chan green tea. Off to the Downtown YMCA.

5:30 a.m.: It’s too cold to run outside. Our boot camp instructor, Eric Holmberg, has concocted a new indoor routine with kettle bells. I appreciate my loyal workout buddies: Deborah Senner, Denise & Allen Brinkmeyer, Frank Gartin, Sandy Meier and many others. We’ll need ibuprofen and Epsom salt before the hour is over.

6:30 a.m.: Drive home from the gym through Automobile Alley. I moved back to OKC five years ago and love living in Heritage Hills. I have just enough time for a quick shower, an egg white omelet and my Today Show fix.

7:55 a.m.: Before going to the office, I take a detour by Bellevue Health & Rehabilitation Center to check on my dad, a WWII veteran and former newspaper advertising salesman. He has had a rough month, but today is a good day. I’m grateful.

8:30 a.m.: Leave Bellevue to run back Downtown to Candor Public Relations. On my way, I chill out with satellite radio hits of the ’70s, acoustic coffeehouse, contemporary Christian and classic country. Don’t ever challenge me with a game of Name That Tune because I will win.

9 a.m.: Arrive at Candor and am warmly greeted by coworkers Jacqueline Sit; Todd Starke; and my husband, Jim Kessler, who leads the other half of our business, Candor Performance.

9:30 a.m.: Begin work on a PR plan for John W. Rex Elementary. We’re excited to work with the head of the school, Dr. Joe Pierce, and a great board of directors.

10:45 a.m.: The mammoth social media audit we are working on for our healthcare client is finally complete! #excited

10:48 a.m.: My teenage daughter calls to announce she is awake. School has been out for three days due to ice and snow. I can’t remember the last time she ate or bathed. The mom in me worries.

11:45 a.m.: Leave the office and head to my weekly Rotary meeting at The Petroleum Club. Today, I’m presenting new members Paul Albers, State Rep. Randy Grau and Randy Tate of NorthCare.

1:15 p.m.: I leave Rotary to find my way back to my car via the downtown tunnel. I get lost, but that’s okay. I then drive east on Reno Avenue to visit with a manufacturing client about reputation management, an issue every organization should address.

2:30 p.m.: Swing back by Candor PR to review my notes for a board meeting of the American Red Cross. I’m visiting tomorrow with CEO Janienne Bella and Board Chair Mark Williams with AT&T about an upcoming editorial board meeting with The Oklahoman.

3:30 p.m.: Get a 911 call from a client who needs help crafting a media statement. In PR, we’re like firefighters, meaning we drop everything to help in a crisis. That means I will miss the marketing committee meeting at Infant Crisis Services with longtime friend Jo Lynne Jones and Executive Director Miki Farris. Sorry, ladies!

5 p.m.: Client crisis averted. I regroup with the Candor team. Jacqueline politely reminds me that I missed my afternoon tea kick, a subtle hint that I’m running low on energy. Trip to the kitchen for snacks!

5:30 p.m.: I have just enough time to check my Twitter and Facebook feeds to catch up on the day.

6 p.m.: Jim and I leave work and stop by our home to check on our sequestered teen. Next, we’re off to the American Heart Association Circle of Red holiday party in Nichols Hills. We’re greeted by Go Red! co-chairs Beth Pauchnik and Lynn Horton from INETGRIS.

8 p.m.: Arrive back home, and I immediately change into my comfy clothes.

8:45 p.m.: Pick up the latest edition of PR Week but get frustrated because my eyes are getting heavy. Jim offers to download the latest episode of Scandal, which is nothing like the real world of public relations, but it’s entertaining. I make it through the first scene before I crash for the night.

10:45 p.m.: The dinging sound of email wakes me up from a deep sleep. I can’t go upstairs without checking my inbox. It’s a habit I’m trying to break; however, my family is supportive of my 24/7 addiction to my clients.

11 p.m.: Stumble upstairs, crawl in bed and thank my creator for my health, family and our thriving business. Set the alarm for an early wake-up call. Can’t wait to do it all over again tomorrow!