Karen protects reputations and provides candid counsel using her 35+ years’ experience in communications. As a former television news reporter turned public relations practitioner, she gets giddy when conducting media training and excels in crisis communications.
She first developed her storytelling skills working for PBS, CNN and CBS affiliates. She later served as director of external affairs for the Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences and was region president for Oklahoma’s oldest public relations firms.
In 2012, Karen founded Candor, which was acquired by Salient Global in 2023. Today, she serves on the Salient board of directors and serves as CEO of Candor, overseeing a diverse portfolio of clients, industries and brands.
Karen’s community involvement includes:
- University of Oklahoma, Gaylord Board of Advisors
- Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, Board of Advisors
- AutismOklahoma, board member
- Leadership Oklahoma, graduate
- Leadership Oklahoma City, graduate
- Leadership Tulsa, graduate
- The Rotary Club of Oklahoma City, member
Awards & Honors:
- Distinguished Woman in Advertising, Oklahoma City Ad Club, 2021
- University of Oklahoma Gaylord College Distinguished Alum, 2020
- University of Oklahoma Student Media Hall of Fame, 2019
- Female Entrepreneur of the Year, International Stevie Awards, 2016
- Byliner Award, Association for Women in Communications, 2014
- Board Member of the Year, American Red Cross, 2013
- 50 Making A Difference, The Journal Record, 2013
Karen holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism and a master’s degree in human relations from the University of Oklahoma.
To switch her mind from work to play, Karen seldom skips her Saturday morning coffee club or daily exercise. She’s also known to listen to at least one business podcast per day and quiz her co-workers over current events.