Karen protects reputations and provides candid counsel using her 30 years’ experience in communications. As a former television reporter turned public relations practitioner, she gets giddy when conducting media training and excels in crisis communication.
She first developed her storytelling skills on OETA and KOTV in Tulsa. She later served as director of external affairs for Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences and as region president for one of Oklahoma’s largest public relations firms. Karen intimately understands Oklahoma City and Tulsa, having worked an equal amount of time in each market.
In 2012, Karen founded Candor, where she continues to provide senior leadership on every account. The firm has served more than 500 clients in various industries, including healthcare, education, technology, retail, nonprofits and more.
Karen’s community involvement includes:
- University of Oklahoma, Gaylord Board of Advisors
- Greater Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce, Board of Advisors
- Leadership Oklahoma, graduate
- Leadership Oklahoma City, graduate
- Leadership Tulsa, graduate
- The Rotary Club of Oklahoma City, member
Awards & Honors:
- Distinguished Woman in Advertising, Oklahoma City Ad Club, 2021
- University of Oklahoma Student Media Hall of Fame, 2019
- Female Entrepreneur of the Year, International Stevie Awards, 2016
- Byliner Award, Association for Women in Communications, 2014
- Board Member of the Year, American Red Cross, 2013
- 50 Making A Difference, The Journal Record, 2013
Karen holds a bachelor’s degree in journalism and a master’s degree in human relations from the University of Oklahoma.
To switch her mind from work to play, Karen seldom skips her Saturday morning coffee club or daily exercise. She’s also known to listen to at least one business podcast per day and quiz her co-workers over current events.